Kensington residents participate in a “reduce, reuse, and recycling” program. Our solid waste and recycling provider is Bay View Refuse and Recycling.For questions concerning Bay View Refuse and Recycling please contact Greg Christie, supervisor, at (510) 237-4614 or email him at . Our community reduces what we send to the landfill by offering various opportunities to recycle, by providing special community pick-ups for still-useful items and by providing a pick-up for no longer useful electronics. For instance we encourage residents to leave true trash at the curb for the "Big Pick Up" but bring still-useful items to the Goodwill truck the Saturday before the pick-up (see details below).
The solid waste and recycling program is overseen by our General Manager, Kevin Hart. He can be reached at (510) 526-4141 or by email at . Some services provided to Kensington residents:
Green Waste Pick-Up provided by Bay View Refuse and Recycling
- Unlimited green waste is picked up twice per month in Kensington:
- DAY: Same as your regular collection day during scheduled green waste week
- TIME: Set out prior to 6:00 am on regular day
- LOCATION: Place as close to the street as possible.
- LIMIT: No limit to the amount of green waste obtained through the regular clean up and maintenance of your property.
- MATERIAL MUST BE "GREEN WASTE" ONLY. NO PLASTIC BAGS WILL BE EMPTIED OR COLLECTED, NO POISON OAK, NO DIRT OR ROCKS.
- DETAILS: Green waste material must be placed in returnable containers such as garbage cans up to 35 gallons marked green waste, small tarps or large disposable paper lawn bags; branches may be tied or bundled with string (3 feet max length).
- 2015 GREEN WASTE PICK-UP CALENDAR
- January 12-16, 26-30
- February 9-13, 23-27
- March 9-13, 23-27
- April 13-17, 27-May 1
- May 11-15, 25-29
- June 8-12, 22-26
- July 13-17, 27-31
- August 10-14, 24-28
- September 14-18, 28-October 2
- October 12-16, 26-30
- November 9-13, 23-27
- December 14-18, 28-January 1 (January 1 one day late)
HAZARDOUS WASTE RECYCLING INFORMATION
Households may now drop-off several different types of household hazardous waste at the West County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility located at 101 Pittsburg Ave in Richmond. Their phone number is: (888) 412-9277. This is a free service to residents of Kensington. Proof of residence is required at the time of drop-off. Hours of operation are every Thursday, Friday, and 1st Saturday of each month, 9am-4pm (closed 12-12:30pm). To download and view the Household Hazardous Waste Recycling flyer, click here.
- Contra Costa County Reuse & Recycling Hotline: 800-750-4096
- District Franchise Agreement [PDF]
- District Memorandum of Understanding [PDF]
- Kensington Curbside Recycling [Link]
- Hazardous Waste Guide [PDF]
- Recycling Guide [PDF]
- Bay View Arbitration Settlement Agreement.pdf [PDF]
- Bay View Rates [PDF] (pending update)
Note: This page contains information provided by outside agencies. Although we make every effort to keep this information current, we recommend contacting the responsible agency directly to verify the information before making any plans. Please also let us know if any of this information is out of date so that we can update it in a timely manner.